Code vulnerability report 27 July 2009
We recently detected a vulnerability in the SRM subsystem of dCache. Security patches are already available at dCache.org. Please find details on the issue below.
In case you need further help : Drop us an e-mail at : email@example.com.
All production releases are affected.
- One needs to be authenticated in order to abuse the system (based on this vulnerability).
- Neither the file system metadata nor the actual data is in danger.
- The flaw is in the code since the introduction of SRM 2.2.
- This security issue has not been reported by a customer and up to now only the dCache core team has knowledge on how to misuse the system based on this flaw.
Please find fixes for this security bug at dCache.org for releases.
- Only the SRM door needs to be patched.
- In case you are running a pre 1.9.1 version you should consider to upgrade your system to a release for which we provide a patch.
- Please check the compatibility matrix in the release notes if you want to run mixed releases.
- All current 1.9.x head nodes, including 1.9.3 and 1.9.4, are compatible with 1.9.0 pool nodes.
- Although you may mix different head-node releases with different pool node releases, please make sure all head node services are running the same release (eg 1.9.3). For mixing head node services within a patch level (1.9.3-x) please refer to the corresponding release notes.